Early Years Foundation StageAt Welbourne Primary School we endeavour to provide quality education and fun learning experiences in Nursery and Reception that will enable your child to thrive to their full potential.
The Early Years Foundation Stage (EYFS) Curriculum includes seven areas of learning and development – all of which are vital in ensuring children receive the best start in life.
There are three prime areas which are;
- Communication and Language – Listening and Attention, Understanding and Speaking
- Physical Development – Moving and Handling and Self care
- Personal, Social and Emotional Development – Making relationships, Managing feelings and behaviour and Self-confidence and Self-awareness
We keep these at the heart of everything we do so we ignite children’s curiosity and enthusiasm for learning, build their capacity to learn and form meaningful relationships. They are known as ‘prime’ because they are the foundations on which the other four ‘specific areas’ flourish.
The specific areas are;
- Literacy – Reading and Writing
- Mathematics – Numbers and Space, Shape and Measures
- Understanding the World – People and communities, The world and Technology
- Expressive Arts and Design – Exploring and using media and materials and Being Imaginative.
The specific areas of learning develop essential skills and knowledge for children to participate successfully in society.
- To give each child a happy, positive and fun start to their school life in which they can establish solid foundations on which to expand and foster a deep love of learning;
- To offer each child a wide range of new and exciting experiences and give them the opportunity to consolidate, explore and test them out along with their own, individual experiences;
- To enable each child, through encouragement and high expectations, to develop, to the full, socially, physically, intellectually and
- To offer a structure for learning that has a range of starting points and unlimited opportunities for development;
- To encourage children to develop independence within a loving, secure and friendly atmosphere;
- To support children in building relationships through the development of social skills such as cooperation and sharing;
- To help each child to recognise their own strengths and achievements through experiencing success and developing the confidence to work towards personal goals.
Welbourne have introduced online access for pupils’ learning journeys to parents and carers through Tapestry. By logging on with a secure username and password, you are able to view all of your children’s observations, photographs and videos from their time in Nursery and Reception. You will even receive an email telling you when a new observation or piece of work is available for you to view.
You will be able to follow your child’s individual progress and you can discuss these achievements with your child. You can add comments so that we find out about which activities your child really enjoyed and the learning they get up to at home. All of this information is stored on a highly secure server, which is monitored closely.
To find out more about the EYFS curriculum and how you can help your child at home, click the link below